Friday, February 13, 2015

Triskaidekaphobia [UPDATE]

Triskaidekaphobia, or fear of the number 13, does not fit neatly into a clinical definition of a specific phobia. The number 13 is not an object or a situation, and it can be impossible for the sufferer to avoid. Moreover, in order for a phobia to be diagnosed, it must significantly impact the sufferer's life. Most people with triskaidekaphobia find that their fear only arises in certain situations, and does not significantly impair their lives.[ http://phobias.about.com/od/phobiaslist/a/triskaidekaphob.htm]
The phobia, known as friggatriskaidekaphobia, is not uncommon. The word comes from Frigga, the name of the Norse goddess for whom Friday is named, and triskaidekaphobia, or fear of the number thirteen. It is also sometimes called paraskevidekatriaphobia, from the Greek Paraskevi for Friday, Dekatreis for thirteen and phobia for fear.[ http://www.ibtimes.com/friday-13th-history-origins-myths-superstitions-unlucky-day-395108]
Superstition:
Excessively credulous belief in and reverence for supernatural beings.
This year where all of the craziness is that usually follows? Maybe it is because I am getting older, that I could care less about that stuff. The black cat, the opened umbrella in the house, walking under a ladder is a few things I do not see in my foreseen futures. The fact that I once avoided stepping on a crack to keep from breaking my momma’s back and saying “bread and butter” when you and a person you’re walking with “split a pole” was such a waste of my youth time. We used to through a pinch of salt behind your shoulder to keep evil [in the devil’s eye] away when you spilled some. Hang a horse shoe up in the house[under the shot gun].
As an adult I used to keep a black cat, and open my umbrella to dry after the rain. Life has a way of changing one’s outlook on what is important.
I challenge you to try to remember the silliness or superstitions of your youth and see just how many you continue. How many do you pass onto your children as “old folks say” or cultural traditions?
By the way, I never put my handbag on the floor!! [You will be broke and never keep money]

…Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment