Friday, February 6, 2015

MEDICALLY INDUCED COMA


I am neither a doctor nor play one but what I am is a living, walking testimony of how a medically induced comma can save a person’s life.
…”What is a medically induced coma?
So basically what happens with a medically induced coma is that you take a drug and administer it until you see a certain pattern in the monitor that follows the patient's brain waves, the EEG [electroencephalogram]. Patients with brain injuries who are in a coma have a similar pattern. If that pattern is there, then you feel comfortable that the patient is in a drug-induced coma. You are doing it so that you can hopefully protect the brain.
What are you protecting the brain from?
If you've had a brain injury, what happens is the metabolism of the brain has been significantly altered. You may have areas without adequate blood flow. The idea is: "Let me reduce the amount of energy those different brain areas need." If I can do that then, as the brain heals and the swelling goes down, maybe those areas that were at risk can be protected.
But the main thing about a drug-induced coma, as opposed to a coma, is that it's reversible. If you do this to someone with a normal brain, they would come right out of it once you removed the drugs.” [http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-a-medically-induced-coma/]

What it did for me was to give my heart a chance to not work as hard and get stronger. There was no brain activity to where all focus was on letting my body heal itself. It may have taken about two weeks for the doctors to agree to wake me. It was a trying time for my family to say the least. Some people came to see me and said their “goodbyes” believing that would never walk out of the hospital again.
When I woke up I saw a few loved ones, family and friends who stuck by my side never believing I was going anywhere.
 To the Brown family and the Houston families and any families who have loved ones in this state Hold On! God has the final say.
 About three after I woke up, I was the “pain-in-the-ass” patient wanting to go home!

Yours truly
…Pandora


2 comments:

  1. This is so true, what you wrote, they did it for my Uncle, after heart surgery. We all had faith that he would be alright, God made sure he was. Alive and well to this day. I had no ideal, you were placed under the same conditions, God is Good. God bless you, my dear friend. Your work is not finish here on earth.

    ReplyDelete