Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Traditions, Labor Day


How much of what we do is tradition? Tradition calls for church on Sunday, or Saturday. Walking down the Aisle for a wedding. Having 2.3 children and a dog.
There many communities in New York City that have their own traditions. There in the “Chinatown” community you have shops, restaurants of different types of food that I am used to growing up in my household but not unfamiliar to me as a New Yorker. The imported Tiger shrimps, lychee fruit, Peking style duck, and the imported souvenirs are familiar to me when traveling in this community. Then there are the South Asian or East Indian communities that have their own traditions. This community is a new experience for my generation but not to my children. With them I’ve learned about the true origin of most spices. I learned the true meaning of “curry” which is a proprietary blend of turmeric, cumin and a personal preference of added spices just to name a few.
I grew up with Italians, middle Eastern Jewish, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans. We watched the community change as the immigration to the United States changed. Each community bringing their traditions with them and maintaining them while in their adapted country while respecting America and its values. We all celebrated with each other our differences and what we have in common. We had family in common, loyalty, religion or the belief in God. There was a respect for human life as well as the sanctity of marriage.
There were some families or people that were different to what the community was used to, but you tried not to stare. The man who walked “funny” with the pink on, or the lady who looked like a man; your parents said “It’s not polite to stare”. Respect above all, mind your business.
Traditions can be a learning experience if you’re willing to listen and learn from someone other than what you are used to. I change you to go out into the community during “other people” holidays or celebrations and learn something new. I am sure they will be more than happy to teach and share with you. Especially their food!
“Make America Great Again”, America has always been great because of the different traditions and customs that came seeking something better for their families. For my family, it is a different story.
I will revisit how my people made America great without asking to come here.
#LaborDay
…Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment