Monday, January 5, 2015

BUGS

I grew up with two brothers and raised two boys and I know a little something about bugs. In college I studied biology dissecting frogs, grasshoppers, whatever and knew I wanted to become a zoologist. So nature came natural for me. I loved the outdoor experience of plants and small animals including bugs.
Nowadays, I have granddaughters and grandsons. My grandsons were playing in the yard one day and one was a little apprehensive about touching, the other just looked and the third sang the “ewww” song. This is when I sprang into action and became The ENTOMOLOGIST-at-large. I taught them to be gentle with handling the stick to pry and turn over the “ginormous” caterpillar. To look at the color and the fuzzy skin on the caterpillar had them amazed. To see their Grandmother right there with them and the look on their aces was priceless.
I constantly enjoy my grands and their thrust for life and all things new, reminding me of when my children were young and innocent taking my house apart by the screws. I have granddaughters as well, with their interest in fashion and make-up is another story for another day.


…Pandora [who used to catch butterflies]

1 comment:

  1. The people in this article are seldom spoken of, but they gave us a powerful legacy upon which to strive to achieve. This will continue to inspire me to vote and be a productive citizen of this country. What they achieved truly matters.

    ReplyDelete