Thursday, January 1, 2015

Watch Night, New Year's Day

I grew up going to church on New Year's eve.Sitting and reflecting on the year that past. As a child I didn't have much reflecting to do. It was enough for me just to sit still in church. As an adult I continued this tradition bringing my children because this is how I was raised.I wanted answers and I began questioning everything I did specially when it came to propaganda and advertisements. My research led me to the south, land of my American ancestors. The service was called "Watch Night". What are we watching?
"The Watch Night service can be traced back to gatherings also known as “Freedom’s Eve.” On that night, Black slaves and free blacks came together in churches and private homes all across the nation awaiting news that the Emancipation Proclamation actually had become law.  At the stroke of midnight, it was January 1, 1863; all slaves in the Confederate States were declared legally free. When the news was received, there were prayers, shouts and songs of joy as many people fell to their knees and thanked God."
There slaves in Texas how found out they were free in June 19, 1865 two years after the Emancipation. This is celebrated June 19 of each year mostly in the south and southwest states. [We in New York City had no idea of this celebration growing up in The Bronx].
We as a community have been gathering in churches every since as a tradition. I now understand the importance of traditions and strive for the true meanings to pass on to my futures. My grandchildren are my futures, my investments, the legacy of the family to carry on forever.
My you and your family have a healthy prosperous New Year. Leave all heavy dead weight, and useless energy behind!
HAPPY NEW YEAR
...Pandora

No comments:

Post a Comment