Sunday, November 23, 2014

A TURN-AROUND KITCHEN

I have noticed for a while the trend to have a “mega-do-it-all” kitchen. I have seen fire places, and 6 or more burner stoves. There are subzero refrigerators. One may want to have a pizza oven or a fireplace in the kitchen. The wall of ovens with a microwave stuck in there. In the last few years the trend was to have “pot filler” over the stove so you can fill a pot of water without lifting it.
Kitchen islands are of phenomena of themselves. One can cook at the island or wash dishes at the island as well. You family [not so much] or friends can watch all of this taking place on stools if you wish as if you are some kind of cooking show host.
The countertops will have you daydreaming forever. There are so many choices to choose from. Granite, soap stone, concrete and even chalkboard so you can write on it! Cabinets can be made of wood, laminate of any color. The hardware [faucets and cabinet pulls] can cost from a few hundreds to a few thousands of dollars.
I really like those walk-in pantries. I wish I had one when I was raising my children. I think it would have made my life more organized. [I want to believe].
I can’t imagine cleaning those mega kitchens. Granted if one can afford to have one of those big kitchens, one can afford the housekeeping as well. I am old school. I do not want to have strangers in my home cleaning and snooping.
Which brings me to today’s rant! I love what I call a “Turn-around” kitchen. In a turnaround kitchen you have the sink then, turnaround there is a stove, then turnaround there a refrigerator. I can fill a small pot and turnaround and put it on the stove just fine. When I’m cooking I usually forget something in the “fridge” and I don’t want to walk ¼ mile for something.  By the time I get there I will have forgotten anyway. I want to get in there do what I have to do and get out. There will be no show, no demonstrations. I do not want to travel to get to the pantry or pull appliances from over there. I want to fix something to eat while I worry about my calorie count.  After this I want to get out of the kitchen and turn off the light!

…Pandora

1 comment:

  1. I love to go to kitchen. I am keen of making new dishes all the time but i hate kitchen when it is dirty.

    ReplyDelete